Sunday, June 3, 2012










Chicago 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith with HoF Inductee Jerry Pritikin


Jerry Pritikin with Brother Allen




CHICAGO: June 2nd,2012



About a month ago, I received a call from Chicago's 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith's Office. It was from her administrated assistant, Emma Rosenberg asking me if I would mind if Alderman Smith nominated me for this year's Senior Citizens Hall of Fame. I hesitated for a brief moment, and replied I would be honored. There has been some friction between myself and Alderman Smith since finding out that my precinct will be relocated into the 27th Ward, due to the Chicago's new Ward boundaries.

Yesterday, the Award ceremony took place at the Sheraton Chicago's Grand Ballroom. To get ready, I had a haircut, and was donning a suit for the first time in the 21st Century. I even left my trade mark "Rainbow" colored Interstellar Propeller Beany at home. There were over 1,000 people invited for the luncheon. Awards were given several categories, beside those given representing 26 of the 50 City Wards. Before the program started, Alderman Smith came to shake hands and we established a truce. We posed for a few photos. The affair lasted for several hours and I enjoyed meeting some of the other nominees, and a few other Chicago Aldermen and politicians. My brother Allen,and his girl friend Joanne, and a couple of my friends from the Maple Point Senior Apartments enjoyed the event. I was honored, especially being the only nominee listed as an activist from Chicago's LGTB Community. (June is also Gay Pride Month)

No comments:

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION