Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Day With Lee Balterman By Jerry Pritikin





I stopped by my good friend Lee Balterman's apartment yesterday, and as usual it was inspirational and time well spent. I was amazed how much progress he's made putting his photo files in order. He has over a quarter of a million negatives and slides covering over 50 years as a photographer for Time & Life,Sports Illustrated and Forbes Magazine. We spent time taling about the Cubs and their new President of operations... Theo Epstein, and hope for next years chances.
Lee invited me to spend Thanksgiving with him, and I accepted. He had a few new images on his wall, new for the wall that is. One was the mother of a GI that Lee had a spread in Life, as well as a cover during the Vietnam War. His assignments took him all over the world. I love his images of Chicago's known landmarks and unknown bars along skid row , and his true love, the ever changing shops and people along Milwaukee Avenue over many decades. It's always interesting that in the background, the price changes in beer,cigarettes and hot dogs as well as the latest styles of those times. I hope there will be another Daiter gallery showing in the near future. One of the attached images is a rock that Lee found on Omaha Beach. Lee was in France just after D-Day. The other a letter from former Mayor Richard Daley and of course my favorite model posing among his treasures.

No comments:

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION