Sunday, November 27, 2011

33 Years Ago Today November 27,1978 in San Francisco By Jerry Pritikin


Winds on Castro Street-December 1978 (c) Jerry Pritikin


With Harvey Milk 3/9/1978 On this Day, Harvey was the Acting Mayor of San Francisco Photo Credit Danny Nicoletta


Harvey Milk on June 7,1977 Orange Tuesday for history of image visit www.thecastro.net/street/memoriespage/pritikin/scene05.html


With Mayor Moscone on Opening Day of S.F. Gay Community Softball Season-1978


Mayor Moscone at City Hall Oct.7,1976 (c) Jerry Pritikin

One of my favorite pastimes as a kid was reading the Almanac section of the Daily Newspapers. They posted stories that happened on a particular date before I was born. I often used my imagination to visualize what it was like being there on historic days. Now that I am nearing my 75th birthday... it seems that I am able to recall those events listed on a daily basis. Just the other day was the 48th Anniversary of JFK's assassination and of course I recall where I was on that day, as well as that of Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy in 1968. Those were national stories, and I often wonder what if they had lived?

However, the event that happened in San Francisco on this day in San Francisco in 1978 was different for me. It was the assassinations of Mayor George Moscone and S.F. City Supervisor Harvey Milk. I knew them both as friends. I often wonder "WHAT IF THEY HAD LIVED?" There is no doubt in my mind that if the assassinations of all 5 men did not happen, our world would of been a better place then, and now!

No comments:

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION