Friday, May 20, 2011

SADIE IS A SAINT!

Back Row-Hank aka "The Tomato King",Neil,Toby Manheim,Elaine Zalusky,Allen
Front Row Jerry and Sadie
Hank and Sadie on their 47th Anniversary
Sadie and Hank in the Roaring 20's


Back in 1976, just a few days after my Mom's 76th Birthday(May 20th), she died. I came back to Chicago from San Francisco for her funeral. I remember meeting with the Rabbi at Weinstine's Funeral Home. Since he did not know her, he was asking our family and friends about her. When he spoke to me, I started to say SADIE WAS A SAINT... and then realized maybe that's not a proper thing to say to a Rabbi. So I used other just words to describe her. When it was time to start the service.... the Rabbi looked out at the large crowd on hand and said" I did not know this woman, but judging from all her family and friends... THIS WOMAN MUST OF BEEN A SAINT!"Looking back, she was. I never heard her say anything bad about anyone, and friends and family sought her out for words of wisdom. She had a quality to speak the plain truth. How lucky I was to have her as a mother, and so were those who knew her as a friend.

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION