Monday, June 27, 2011

somewhere-under-the-rainbow-Chicago Pride-2011 (c) J Pritikin

#1, Gay Teachers of Chicagoland (c) J Pritikin

#2 Fellow Activist Natalie Kenvin Pride Parade 2011 (c) J Pritikin
#3, Somewhere Under the Rainbow... Chicago Gay Pride Parade (c) J Pritikin
#2, 1940s Bookie Joint
#1, Kevin on Halsted Street-2011 (c) J Pritikin

The Chicago's Pride Parade seemed almost endless. As usual for me, I photographed only a handful (figure of speech) of images. The music was loud, and creative floats were far and few in between. For me it seemed a review of many former Pride Day's. It was over crowded and a mixed bag of sideshows in and out of the parade. However, at least half of the crowd were non-gays, and the kids were having a good time. Here are a few reminders of the 2011 Chicago Gay Pride Parade. I have seen my fair share of Pride celebrations. I really never marched in them, and always liked the creativity in some of the marchers and organizations. This year, a great percentive of floats and flat bed trucks were vandelized, causing over $20,000. damage. The show went on. I really wanted to give Mayor Emanuel a Rainbow Intersteller Propeller Beany Cap, but he was not in my sight. I was invited by Alderman Michele Smith to march with her. I chosed to walk to the end of the parade route,and watch it from that vantage point. I had the usual "I like your hat!" comments, but not as many as I thought I might receive in such a large crowd. With New York now the 6th State to pass a Gay Marriage Law, and the large crowds at the various Pride Parades in America and over seas. I really get the feeling, that the tide of public opinion is changing, and for the good. If your not active in gay or human rights, this could be a good time to get involved. I 'm passing you the torch after 40 years.



No comments:

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION