Sunday, April 11, 2010

On this Date...April 11,1951

On this day, I was 14 years old, and living at 320 Meridain Avenue on Miami Beach. I was asked by my next door neighbor, Leonard Meltzer, who was ill that day, if I could help deliver his Miami Daily News newspaper Route for him. It was only a few blocks long, and I could sell the extra 10 papers and keep the money. I believe the paper sold for 5 cents. After fulfilling the route... I walked over to Alton Road near the 5th Street Causeway, and started to hawk the remaining papers like they used to in the movies. "Extra! Extra! Read all about it... Truman Fires MacArthur!!!" I kept yelling as the cars stopped for the street light. I sold a couple, when a young boy about 8 years old, and his mother was waiting on the curb for the light to change...
I heard him say to his mom " Doesen't he sound just like Jerry Lewis?" I sold out the remaining papers, and thus ended my one day career selling newspapers 59 years ago,today.

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION